Saturday, September 16, 2006

"restore gently"

"Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived."

Gal. 6:1-3 (The Message)

"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself."

Gal. 6:1-3 (NIV)

____________________

Must have been the translation they were using. Maybe I don't understand the Greek; that must be it.

Would my readers look this over and see if it says somewhere, "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should kick him out on his ass"?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

shoot. i can't even use my "it's in the Message" joke here.

the truth has set us free... unfortunately, we seem hellbent on creating new shackles.

i don't understand us sometimes.

jared said...

Oh, THAT kind of forgiveness. Well, we don't do that anymore. It's so old fashioned don't you know. Jesus would surely not want us forgiving just any sinners. I mean, especially THOSE kind of sinners. Those are BIG sins, not like the little sins I commit.

paul said...

Well, I wouldn't know. I don't sin.

rachel said...

the message is like cool clean and fresh water on a hot hot los angeles day

Andrew Luis said...

How do wen know Gently isnt used metiphorically (you should really trust my oppinion becuase i think I just misspelled metephoricly and I use the personal pro know I without a capital)