Monday, September 25, 2006

Comfortable in my skin

So I have come to a relatively new thought lately. I'm slowly become comfortable in my skin. Now, not literally. In fact, I'm more and more uncomfortable with my weight and what that means. I more and more see it as something deeper than just too many cookies.

But I think I like me more (maybe I can flesh this out more in future posts).

1. I'm more okay with not having all of the answers. More specifically, I'm okay with questions. Ambiguity. Wow that is freeing. Theologically, I would say that I'm conservative. No... I'm not. Yes, I am. No, I'm not. Grrrrrrrrrr!

I don't fit a camp. And you know what? I'm okay with that. I know that Jesus is my God and more and more I think he is the most amazing person -- and my best thought. I understand him more... and less... every day.

2. I'm okay with being the leader I am. I don't have to have all the answers here either. I can just ask the questions. I can be hard on the problem yet not have to defend my particular solution. Freeing.

3. I think I like getting older. I went through kind of a mid-life crisis this year. (I bet I will go through another.) But you know... age really has it advantages.

4. I'm more and more secure in my calling. I'm less and less worried about what others think, particularly my colleagues and supervisors. I feel less and less the need/desire to impress.

I want to write more... but us old guys need our sleep.

More later.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Paul, your comfortableness in your own skin shows, particularly in your sermons. They've been exceptionally good lately.

Are you still biking to work? This is perfect weather for it...

Anonymous said...

i don't have anything brilliant to add [but really, do i ever?], just patiently waiting for "Comfortable in my skin, Part 2". these are good thoughts to have, and recognize.