Thursday, April 14, 2005

Busyness

"Busyness rapes relationships. It substitutes shallow frenzy for deep friendship. It feeds the ego but starves the inner man. It fills a calendar but fractures a family. It cultivates a program that plows under priorities. Many a church boasts about its active program: ‘Something for every night of the week for everybody.’ What a shame! With good intentions the local assembly can create the very atmosphere it was designed to curb."

- Charles Swindoll



"'I am so busy.' We say this to one another with no small degree of pride, as if our exhaustion were a trophy, our ability to withstand stress a mark of real character. The busier we are, the more important we seem to ourselves and, we imagine, to others. To be unavailable to our friends and family, to be unable to find time for the sunset, to whiz through our obligations without time for a single, mindful breath, this has become the model of a successful life."

- Wayne Mueller

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

tiff said...
all this sounds oh tooooo familiar

jared said...

I almost didn't comment because I'm too busy. So what do we do about our busyness? I've heard answers like, "just say no more often," but it's really hard to say no to good things.

Anonymous said...

these are excellent quotes. as the years go by, I am learning how to prioritize, and to better discern what is important in a large-picture life way. constant activity is not.

I do, however, want to mention that my personal style of going deeper with people is to do stuff together. I have a really hard time just sitting down and talking to people, but put me in a car with someone and I will talk about things I haven't mentioned for years. let's go walking or to the zoo or go to a concert together; that helps me connect.

-rachel
b109.com

Anonymous said...

Funny, I think I've gotten a lot better about not being too busy, however I'm constantly fighting guilt about not being busy enough.