Thursday, April 08, 2010

Dad's Eulogy

Eulogy \ˈyü-lə-jē\ - from εὐλογία, eulogia, Classical Greek for "good words."

This week I did my dad's memorial service.

wow.

As a part of that, I was asked to do a eulogy. A eulogy is different from a funeral sermon, in that a funeral sermon is about God and God's action in a life. A eulogy is about the person. It's intended to honor the person and their life.

Good words about my dad's life.

It was actually pretty easy to write. In fact, I had to cut in down quite a bit. So I have decided to make a bunch of post about lessons my dad taught me based on this eulogy and include stuff I cut. This may take awhile. It's going to be a series longer.... maybe longer than my series on Revelation! (Okay, probably not).

These are going to be long posts. Honestly, I don't expect you to read them. I think if you do read them, you will understand more about me. I think you might even learn a thing or two about life. But I post these for me.

It's time for me to start process this week and I started blogging years ago as a means to do that. So I invite you into my thoughts. My past. My life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, look forward to seeing what you post. :) Still praying for you and your family.

Daniel said...

As Frasier Crane used to say, "I'm listening." I vividly remember our long walks around the track. At the end we covered zero ground, but in those times I went a long way as a person. I know how important it is to have someone to talk to, even if it is just a blog post. I look forward to what you will bring, long or short, shallow or deep. Plus, always remember, it's O.K. 'cause I'm a doctor.

Stephanie said...

Paul, I appriciate and admire your openness with all your thoughts. It is a beautiful thing. I look forward to reading these.

thank you

Linda R said...

Do it while the emotion is still fresh because memories attach much better with emotions. I am so looking forward to knowing more about you - and your relationship with your dad.

Joel said...

Bring it on! Bring it on!!! I'm braced and ready!